Jovan Belcher Murder-Suicide: What Really Happened That Night?

Details are starting to emerge that fill in the gaps — and there were large gaps — in the story of Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher and the night he killed his girlfriend (the mother of their three-month-old daughter) and then killed himself in front of his coaches.

Photo credit: Kasandra Perkins on Facebook

The New York Post is reporting that Belcher’s relationship with Kasandra Perkins had been in trouble for a while. In fact, Belcher’s mother had reportedly moved from New York City to live with the couple and help them with their issues — that’s why she was present on the night of the murder-suicide.

According to the Post, Belcher spent the night before the incident with another woman, Brittni Glass. He allegedly took her out for dinner and drinks on the night of Friday, Nov. 30 and then went back to her apartment. He then slept in his car, a black Bentley, outside her residence and was woken by cops at about 2:30 a.m., when he went inside her building.

Glass confirmed to the Post that she was with Belcher that night, but declined to comment on whether the two were romantically involved.

“I was with him that night, that’s it,” was all she would say.

At about 6:45 a.m., Belcher reportedly woke up again and drove back to his rented house in the 5400 block of Crysler Avenue in Kansas City.

The Kansas City Star reports that Belcher’s mother heard someone shout, “You can’t talk to me like that!” at about 8 a.m. on the morning of Saturday, Dec. 1. Moments later, she heard gunfire.

Belcher shot Perkins nine times in the bathroom of his home — and there are some reports that say his mother watched him do it. He then allegedly leaned over and kissed Perkins on the forehead, saying goodbye.

He then kissed his young daughter and fled the scene in his Bentley. Belcher headed over to the Chiefs’ facility, where he encountered the team’s general manager, Scott Pioli, in the parking lot.

Belcher reportedly told Pioli, “I did it. I killed her.” He then pointed a gun at his own head.

Within minutes, head coach Romeo Crennel and other team staff had arrived at the scene. Pioli and the coaches tried to reason with Belcher, but he simply thanked them and didn’t respond to their attempts to reach him.

As he heard police sirens approaching (a member of the team’s staff had alerted the authorities), Belcher reportedly said, “I got to go. I can’t be here.”

He then turned to walk away, knelt down beside a vehicle and shot himself in the head, with his coaches watching.

Photo credit: Kasandra Perkins on Facebook

Leave a Reply

Comments are closed.