Chinese police are investigating the suspicious death of a woman believed to have died after picking up her charging iPhone 5. According to reports, the woman had just exited the bath and may have been attempting to make a call when she was fatally shocked.
The woman in question is 23-year-old Ma Ailun, a resident of the northwestern Chinese province of Xinjiang. Local police revealed Ailun’s death on Sunday evening, while confirming she had died of electrocution. However, the authorities haven’t confirmed that her iPhone was involved in the death.
But Ailun’s sister has already suggested Apple’s popular smartphone was responsible and warned other iPhone 5 users not to use their phone while the device is charging.
Apple has responded to the claims by saying it’s “deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident,” and that it “will fully investigate and cooperate with authorities in this matter.”
This isn’t the first time we’ve heard about alleged electrocutions caused by smartphones, but in many of those cases the victims were using cheaper, third-party devices to charge their phones. That doesn’t appear to be the case in Ma Ailun’s death. According to her family, the victim was using Apple’s own charger.