Though it’s unlikely we’ll see an Opening Ceremony that surpasses the incredible scope and precision (or trippiness) of Beijing 2008′s Opening Ceremony, the Brits probably have a few big surprises in store for us.
Film director Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire) is the mastermind behind this Olympics’ Opening Ceremony. The theme is apparently about the rich history of Britain (no big surprise there).
Based on the rumors making the rounds on Twitter, here are a few specific things you might see at today’s big event:
1) A giant bell. This one is pretty much confirmed, as Deadspin has posted pictures of the thing.
2) Queen Elizabeth. She’s gotta make an appearance, right? Expect to see several royals on hand.
3) Dancing nurses, said to be there to celebrate the rich and vital history of the National Health Service.
4) Farm animals. Danny Boyle apparently wants live cows, sheep and other animals on hand for a segment of the Opening Ceremony based on farming. Could four billion viewers around the world see a cow take a dump on live television? It could happen!
5) Paul McCartney and maybe Ringo Starr. Britain’s greatest musicians have to show up to play a song or two. A stadium-wide singalong of “Hey Jude” would to close things out would make sense.
6) Daniel Craig as James Bond, probably in pre-shot footage. This seems like an odd inclusion, doesn’t it? Nonetheless, the latest rumor is that 007 will be involved somehow.
7) A surprise guest lighting the Olympic Flame. The expected name can be found online, but we’ll omit it from this list. Gotta leave at least one small detail unspoiled, right?