How does David Blaine levitate? Allow me to break your heart, dreamer. He does not levitate, he ain’t no yogi with mystic powers. He hasn’t chanted the secret mantra a million times. He cannot and does not levitate. What he performs is a trick and an illusion. It involves not just his skills but also some neat post-production edits by the camera crew. So much for “magic”. He’s just another Houdini.
Here’s how it happens -
- Blaine performs what is known as the Balducci levitation, basically standing 8-10 feet from onlookers, choosing an angle so that only his profile is visible and then balancing on the toes of the hidden side.
- While this is happening, the camera crew videotapes the reactions of the most credulous, gullible suckers in the audience.
- This done, Blaine and gang then proceed to tell them how the trick was done; but they don’t really do that.
- Blaine does not show the Balducci levitation, he uses wires and props to explain the trick and he get’s filmed doing that.
- Finally, what we see on TV is a full-frontal levitation done with wires (hidden, edited, brushed, etc) along with audience reaction filmed during the Balducci levitation.
Simple genius playing on our deep-seated desire and fantasy that fairies exist.