Nuclear power has kept world opinion divided on its usefulness, eligibility to own it and environmental impact. Speaking of eligibility North Korea has said that the US has recognized it as a nuclear power. My vote goes to nuclear power as a reliable and cheap source of energy. Using nuclear power can halt the growth of the hole in the ozone as there won’t be any temperatures rising and ozone gases being released from fossil fuel burning. Besides who wants to use a Yankee stadium full of coal when you can get the same power from just one pound of plutonium.
Here are some cool nuclear power facts -
- 77% of France’s electricity comes from nuclear power; for United States the figure is 22%.
- France actually exports surplus electricity generated through nuclear power.
- The radioactive emission from a nuclear power plant is lesser than that of a coal power plant; besides there is no particulate matter emitted from a nuclear power plant. Tiny particulate matter emitted from coal power plants is responsible for thousands of deaths in the US every year.
- No ash and no gases generated from nuclear power plants, as against this coal power plants produce three tons of ash per second.
- Why is nuclear power so damn awesome – its because the fission of a single atom of uranium produces 10 million times more energy than that produced by the combustion of an atom of coal.